print-only banner
The White House Skip Main Navigation
In Focus
News by Date
Federal Facts
West Wing

 Home > News & Policies > March 2001

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
March 1, 2001

Statement by the Press Secretary on FEMA

The President today made additional assistance available for the Arkansas ice storm recovery by ordering an increase in the federal share of funding for debris removal.

Funding for debris removal was cost-shared with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) paying 90 percent of the eligible costs and the state and local governments providing the remaining 10 percent. Under the President's order, the federal share has now been increased to 100 percent.

The cost-share adjustment is retroactive to December 12, 2000, the date of the ice storms that resulted in a Presidential disaster declaration for the state. The debris removal must be for damages caused by the ice storms and must be completed by April 28, 2001.

FEMA has already obligated more than $30 million in disaster assistance to Arkansas under the Public Assistance Program.

For further information contact: FEMA 202/646-4600.