President Bush believes that government has an important role to play in creating an environment in which entrepreneurs flourish: an environment that encourages innovation, rewards risk-taking, and promotes equal opportunity. President Bush is committed to energizing America's high tech economy by tearing down barriers that hinder innovation and investment
During his first year in office, the President has worked to establish this environment by
1) promoting the growth of the high tech economy;
2) working to ensure that all Americans can share in the benefits of technology; and
3) increasing protections for the information shared over these networks.
Specifically, he has worked to:
- Cut taxes;
- Reform education and worker training;
- Increase the nation's commitment to R&D;
- Pursue free trade and export control reform;
- Accelerate e-government;
- Protect intellectual property rights;
- Promote 21st Century Telecommunications Infrastructures;
- Increase access to new technologies; and
- Ensure the security of America's Internet infrastructure.