News & Policies
History & Tours
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
October 1, 2001
Operation Enduring Freedom Overview
Campaign Against Terrorism Results
Period Covered September 14-30, 2001
Department of State
- Russia offered to share information and the use of their airspace for humanitarian flights.
- China offered to share information.
- India offered to share information and pledged support of U.S. actions.
- Japan offered diplomatic and military (logistical) support, and assistance to Pakistan.
- Australia offered combat military forces and invoked Article IV of the ANZUS Treaty, declaring September 11 an attack on Australia.
- South Korea offered military medical and air and naval logistics support.
- UAE and Saudi Arabia broke diplomatic relations with the Taliban.
- Pakistan agreed to cooperate fully with the request for assistance and support.
- Secured overflight and landing rights from 27 countries.
- Obtained 46 multilateral declarations of support.
- 19 nations of NATO invoked Article V declaring an attack on one as an attack on all.
- The United Nations Security Council unanimously enacted a binding resolution requiring all member states to pursue terrorists and those who support them, including financial support systems.
Department of the Treasury
- Adoption of Terrorist Financing Executive Order.
- Froze approximately 30 al-Qaida accounts in the U.S. and
almost 20 overseas.
- Put 27 names on the Terrorist Financing list.
- Reviewing additional persons and entities for possible inclusion on the Terrorist Financing list.
- Froze approximately $6 million linked to terrorists.
Department of Defense
- Approximately 29,000 military personnel, 349 military aircraft, 1 Amphibious Ready Group, and 2 Carrier Battle Groups currently deployed in Theater.
- Approximately 17,000 members of the Reserve have been called to active duty, as well as several thousand National Guard operating under State authority.
Department of Justice
- Analyzed 241 serious/credible threats.
- Conducted 540 interviews.
- Conducted 383 searches.
- Issued 4,407 subpoenas.
- Arrested/Detained 439 persons.
- Approximately 30-plus countries offered support in criminal investigations.
- Over 100 countries have offered increased intelligence support.
- Approximately 150 arrests and detentions of terrorists and suspected supporters of terrorism in over 25 countries.
- Intensified counterterrorist operations with over 200 intelligence and security services worldwide.
# # #