History & Tours >
Online Tour of the White House >
|Vermeil Room Art and Furnishings|
The Vermeil Room, sometimes called the Gold Room, was last refurbished in
1991; it serves as a display room and, for formal occasions, as a ladies
sitting room. The soft yellow of the paneled walls complements the
collection of vermeil, or gilded silver, bequeathed to the White House in
1956 by Mrs. Margaret Thompson Biddle.
The vermeil collection contains pieces from different services and includes the work of English Regency silversmith Paul Storr (1771-1844), French Empire silversmith Jean-Baptiste-Claude Odiot (1763-1850), and Philip Rundell of London, who crafted the vermeil wine cooler at the right. The cooler has as its handles classical figures reaching for grapes from an arbor.
The green silk draperies are of early 19th-century design. The carpet is a Turkish Hereke of about 1860, chosen for its pale green background and gold silk highlights. In the center of the room stands a circular mahogany table made in the Empire style in the 19th century. Its tilt top is veneered in 12 wedge-shaped sections, each inlaid with a brass star. Hanging above it is a cut-glass chandelier with ten arms, which was made in England about 1785.
Portraits of seven First Ladies are exhibited in the Vermeil Room.
Against the south wall is a New York sofa circa 1815 attributed to the workshop of Duncan Phyfe. It has scrolled ends and a reeded frame.
Two pairs of American Empire card tables with lyre-form supports stand against the east and west walls.