|Office of Management and Budget||Print this document|
October 15, 2003
MEMORANDUM FOR HEADS OF EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES
OMB Issues Grants.gov FIND Policy
The purposes of this memorandum are to announce the issuance of a new grants management policy on the requirement to post funding opportunity announcement synopses at Grants.gov and to provide the policy and its related data elements. This final policy notice, published in the Federal Register on October 8, 2003 [68 FR 58146], is available on OMB’s website at www.whitehouse.gov/omb/grants/grants_docs.html.
1. Purpose. This policy directive establishes a government-wide requirement for Federal agencies to electronically post synopses of announcements of funding opportunities under financial assistance programs that award discretionary grants and cooperative agreements, using a standard set of data elements. The purpose of the synopsis is to provide potential applicants (1) enough information about the funding opportunity to decide whether they are interested in viewing the full announcement; (2) one or more ways (e.g., an Internet site, e-mail address or telephone number) to get the full announcement with the detailed information; and (3) one common website to search for all Federal grant opportunities by key word, date, Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) number, specific agency or across agencies. The attached data elements are the government-wide standard developed for Federal programs that award discretionary grants and cooperative agreements.
2. Authority. The policy directive is part of the implementation of the Federal Financial Assistance Management Improvement Act of 1999 (Public Law 106-107). This policy is also designed to further implement the Grants.gov initiative, one of the 24 electronic government (E-Gov) initiatives under the President's Management Agenda.
3. Background. Public Law 106-107, requires the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) to direct, coordinate, and assist Executive Branch departments and agencies in establishing an interagency process to streamline and simplify Federal financial assistance procedures for non-Federal entities. The law also requires executive agencies to allow applicants to electronically apply for and report on the use of funds from any Federal financial assistance program administered by the agency.
The posting of standard synopses in an electronic environment provides government customers the opportunity to locate funding opportunities in one place and to decide whether or not to apply for the opportunity. Establishing data standards for the electronic format of the synopses and the posting of synopses on the Internet serve to implement Public Law 106-107 and the President's Management Agenda.
4. Policy. The data elements/format attached to this policy directive are the government-wide standard for posting synopses at http://www.Grants.gov or such website/Internet address that may be identified by OMB, for programs that award discretionary grants and cooperative agreements. Agencies should continue to post their full announcement at location(s) consistent with any applicable statutory requirements and policy. All Federal agencies are required to post synopses of announcements of funding opportunities for programs that award discretionary grants and cooperative agreements at the Grants.gov FIND module and are also encouraged to post other types of Federal funding opportunities at Grants.gov FIND. The synopsis shall be posted with universal resource locator (URL) links through which the full announcement can be obtained. A URL link from the synopsis to the full announcement is not necessary for full announcements posted to Grants.gov because the synopsis and full announcement share the same URL. However, in this event the synopsis must indicate that the full announcement can be found at Grants.gov FIND.
5. Agency Responsibilities.
6. Information Contact. Direct any requests for exemption or questions about the policy to the Office of Federal Financial Management (OFFM), 202-395-3993.