For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
June 30, 2005
Africa Education Initiative (AEI)
"Africa's progress also depends on the education of Africa's children. ... If Africa is to meet its full potential, these children must have the chance to study and learn."
-- President George W. Bush
June 26, 2003
- Today, President Bush announced $400 million for the continuation of the Africa Education Initiative (AEI) over four years to improve the quality
and accessibility of basic education for millions of children in
- Societies must invest in education in order to fight poverty and ensure a better quality of life. AEI responds to such challenges by improving the quality and accessibility of basic education for millions of
children in Africa.
- The $400 million AEI funding announced today will span 2006 to 2010 and will be used to train teachers and administrators, award scholarships, build schools, buy textbooks, and expand opportunities inside and outside the classroom.
- The goal of the AEI is to provide:
- Training for 500,000 teachers and administrators;
- 300,000 scholarships under the Ambassador's Girls Scholarship Program with an emphasis on educational opportunities for females;
- Development and distribution of 10-million textbooks and related
learning and teaching materials;
- Improved access for marginalized students and teachers to learning, education materials, and training;
- Improved access to education and training for out-of-school youth, orphans, and other vulnerable children; and
- Improved access to productivity-increasing job skills training and
# # #
Return to this article at: