|The White House
President George W. Bush
|Print this document|
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
August 6, 2004
Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate
Dear Mr. Speaker: (Dear Mr. President:)
In accordance with the provisions of section 1512 of the Strom Thurmond National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1999 (Public Law 105-261), I hereby certify that the export to the People's Republic of China of the following items is not detrimental to the United States space launch industry and that the material and equipment, including any indirect technical benefit that could be derived from such exports, will not measurably improve the missile or space launch capabilities of the People's Republic of China.
1. One linear accelerator for Huanggang Customs, for inspection of cargo
entering the Port of Shenzhen, People's Republic of China.
2. Fifty-thousand pounds of fine-grained graphite, for Shanghai Carbone
Lorraine Chemical, located in Shanghai, People's Republic of China,
to use in manufacturing temperature-resistant industrial machinery
3. One linear accelerator for Harbin Boiler Company, Ltd., located in
Harbin, People's Republic of China, to use in nondestructive testing
and inspection of utility boilers and valves for conventional power
and auxiliary equipment.
4. One hot isostatic press, for Guizhou Anji Foundry Company, located in
Anshun City, Guizhou Province, People's Republic of China, to use in
consolidation of titanium and aluminum castings for chemical
5. Two environmental test chambers, for Flextronics Industrial Company,
Ltd., located in Jingan, Doumen Zhuhai, People's Republic of China,
to test Xbox game consoles for the Microsoft Corporation.
6. One environmental test chamber, for Hon Hai Precision Industries
Company, Ltd., located in Guangdong, People's Republic of China, to
test personal computers and peripheral equipment for Apple, Compaq,
7. One filament winding machine, for Weifang Dongming Extinguisher
Equipment, located in Weifang, Shandong, People's Republic of China,
to use in manufacturing 600,000 carbon dioxide fire extinguisher
bottles per year.
GEORGE W. BUSH
# # #