|The White House
President George W. Bush
|Print this document|
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
January 31, 2003
Additional Disaster Assistance for Federated States of Micronesia (FSM)
The President today made additional disaster assistance available to the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM), which was impacted by Tropical Storm Chata'an on July 2-4, 2002, by authorizing an increase in the level of Federal funding.
The President's major disaster declaration issued for the FSM on July 11, 2002, authorizes the use of Federal funds to pay 75 percent of the eligible costs, with the FSM and affected municipal governments in the States of Chuuk and Pohnpei providing the remaining 25 percent. Under the President's order today, the Federal share for Public Assistance, including direct Federal assistance, has been increased to 90 percent of the eligible costs and the FSM and municipal government contribution reduced to 10 percent.
The cost-share adjustment is retroactive to the date of the President's major disaster declaration for the FSM.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) disaster housing, unemployment and crisis counseling assistance programs are fully funded at 100 percent. FEMA's Individual and Family Grant and Hazard Mitigation Programs are set by law at 75 percent Federal share.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600