For Immediate Release
January 18, 2002
Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday Activities
The White House
- The First Lady will give remarks at the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Commemorative Service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia on the morning of January 21, 2002.
- The White House will host the King family for a proclamation signing in the East Room on the afternoon of January 21, 2002.
- The White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives is working in concert with the Corporation for National and Community Service on their nation-wide volunteer programs around the country.
Department of State
The Department of State hosted a Martin Luther King Jr. event on January 17, 2002 that featured a reading of the litany "Let My People Go."
Department of Commerce
- Secretary Don Evans will host a Martin Luther King Jr. event on January 21, 2002, at the Department of Commerce.
Department of Education
Secretary Paige will participate in Mayor Anthony Williams' Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday Celebration in Washington, DC, and join the President for the afternoon East Room event at the White House with the King Family.
Department of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary Martinez will participate in a Martin Luther King Jr. March in Memphis, Tennessee as well as a Martin Luther King Jr. event at the African American Museum in Memphis.
Department of Justice
- Secretary Ashcroft held a Martin Luther King Jr. event at the Department of Justice on January 17, 2002.
Department of Health and Human Services
- Secretary Thompson issued a Martin Luther King Jr. Proclamation and hosted an annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration in cooperation with the Departments of Education, FEMA and the Voice of America's International Broadcasting Bureau.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will host a Martin Luther King
Jr. ceremony in Baltimore, Maryland.
The Federal Communications Commission will host a Reading of the
Birmingham Jail letter on January 24, 2002 by television personality
Paul Berry. Chairman Michael Powell will also make remarks.
The General Services Administration hosted a Martin Luther King Jr.
Holiday event at GSA on Jan. 17, 2002; posters and photos will be
displayed throughout the GSA building Jan. 15, - 25; and quotes from
Dr. King will be included in daily GSA e-mail updates starting on Jan.
15, - Jan. 25th.
NASA hosted a Commemoration of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. at
NASA Godddard Headquarters.
The United States Office of Personnel Management will welcome Dr. Martin Luther King's niece, Alveda C. King-Tookes, to OPM on January 24, 2002 to commemorate the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with OPM employees.
Return to this article at: