The White House
President George W. Bush
Print this document

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
September 18, 2001

President Authorizes Additional Disaster Funding for New York
Statement by the Press Secretary

The President today made additional assistance available to the State of New York by authorizing an increase in the level of Federal funding for all categories of Public Assistance as a result of the September 11, 2001, fires and explosions.

The President's major disaster declaration issued for the State on September 11, 2001, initially directed the Federal government to pay 75 percent of the eligible costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures and repair and restoration of public facilities, with the State and affected local governments providing the remaining 25 percent.  Under the President's order today, the Federal share has now been increased to 100 percent for these programs.

The cost share adjustment is retroactive to the date of the President's major disaster declaration for the State.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) disaster housing, unemployment and crisis counseling assistance programs are fully funded at 100 percent.  FEMA's Individual and Family Grant and Hazard Mitigation Programs are set by law at 75 percent Federal share.



Return to this article at:

Print this document