The south wing has two elliptical domes designed by Alfred Mullett, as Supervising
Architect of the Treasury, and they are over two of the eight granite monumental
circular stairwells in the building. These domes are in the oldest wing of
the EEOB, which was constructed between 1871 and 1875 to house the Department
of State. Staff first moved into the wing on July 14, 1875.
Eisenhower Executive Office Building SW Dome and Stair 1. EOP Preservation Office.
Mullett laid out the building's floor plan with a dome-covered stairwell
at each corner and a rotunda-covered double stairwell in the middle of the
east and west sides. Mullett designed these corner domes to bring natural
light deep into the building down each four-story high staircase beneath the domes.
An engineering and construction marvel, each solid granite step
extends out from the wall over the staircase and is self-supporting.
The stair railing is made of solid bronze balusters topped by a mahogany cap.
There are 4,004 bronze balusters in the building, and these were an
important responsibility of the cleaning crews to polish every night
in the early years of the building.
The southwest dome was restored in 1988 to its original appearance
returning the original colors and gilded details to how they looked in 1875.
The southeast dome was restored in 1989, but used Dutch metal to simulate
the gilding. Over fifteen years, the Dutch metal material tarnished and
roof leaks caused damage to the plaster dome details. The roof leaks were
repaired in 1994, and the dome was restored again in 2004, this time
using real gold for the gilding.
Eisenhower Executive Office Building SW Dome. EOP Preservation Office.