East Rotunda


Overall view of the East Rotunda, 2002. EOP Preservation Office.
The East Rotunda was completed in 1879 and was designed by Richard Ezdorf for the Navy Department. The glass was painted over for black out purposes after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, as were all the skylights and domes in the building. Restoration of this dome (1984-1985) included the removal of paint from the original red, white and blue glass and the replacement of two panes.


A view straight up from the floor to the East Rotunda skylight, 2003. EOP Preservation Office.
The National Park Service paint analysis revealed the color scheme in the surrounding area, and aluminum and dutch metal paints were applied by painters of the General Services Administration (GSA) to replicate the original silver and gold decorations in 1994.

Return to the EEOB Tour