News & Policies
History & Tours
"Travel, in the younger sort, is a part of
education; in the elder, a part of experience."
- Federal Consumer Information Center
- Order travel-related publications direct from Uncle Sam at reasonable prices.
Place an order for printed copies of many of these publications here or you can freely view the text for these publications online as noted below:
- Fly Rights
- Practical advice for airline travelers on how to get the best fares and what to do when faced with lost tickets and baggage, canceled or overbooked flights, travel scams, and much more.
- Fly Smart
- Lists more than 30 things you can do to help make your flight a safe one. Includes a passenger checklist.
- Foreign Entry Requirements
- Embassy and consulate addresses where visas may be obtained along with any special requirements.
- National Park System Map and Guide
- This full color map lists activities at over 300 parks, monuments, and historic sites.
- National Trails System Map and Guide.
- This full color map describes eight national scenic trails and nine national historic trails.
- Lesser Known Areas of the National Park System
- Listing by state of more than 170 national parks, their accommodations, locations, and historical significance.
- Passports: Applying for Them the Easy Way
- How, when, and where to apply for U.S. passports. Includes information on fees.
- New Horizons for the Air Traveler with a Disability
- Describes accommodations, facilities, and services that are required to be available and accessible.
- Personal Security for the American Business Traveler Overseas.
- It is important to be alert and aware of the customs, laws and possible dangers. Use these helpful tips to protect yourself abroad.
- Safe Trip Abroad.
- How to take precautions against robbery, terrorism, or other dangers. What to do if you find yourself in trouble.
- Tips For Women Traveling Alone.
- Traveling on your own can be an adventure--make sure it's a safe one with these helpful tips.
- Travel Smart: Travel Safe.
- Tips on getting health and safety warnings, passport and visa requirements, and more when traveling to other countries.
- Travel Tips For Students.
- Trips abroad can be an exciting part of your education--use these tips to make sure your trip is trouble-free and safe.
- Printed copies of the following publications are no longer available from FCIC, but you can still view the electronic version online.
- Discover America: A Listing of State and Territorial Travel Offices of the United States
- Use this list to order free vacation information, including maps, calendars of events, travel guides, and more.
- Travel Tips for Older Americans
- This booklet provides advice to help you plan a safe and healthy trip and to make your trip the exciting, memorable event it should be.
State Department Travel Warnings and Consular Information Sheets
- Travel Warnings are issued by the
U.S. Department of State to recommend that
Americans avoid travel to a certain country. Consular Information
Sheets are available on every country in the world and include
information such as the location of the U.S. embassy or consulate, health
conditions, unusual currency and entry regulations, and other important
information. The State Department also provides on-line information on
obtaining Passports and dealing
with emergencies while
traveling overseas. Pamphlets of practical travel tips can be ordered from the
Travel Tips and
Information page at minimal costs.
- From the Federal Research Division of the Library of Congress, each
of these books looks at a particular foreign country.
The 2000 CIA World Fact Book
- Information on every country in the world, prepared by the U.S.
Government for use by U.S. Government officials. Sources include (among others)
the CIA, Department of State, and the Foreign Broadcast Information
- U.S. Information Agency
- Educational and cultural exchanges, including the Fulbright program.
Arts, Museums and Libraries
Learning, Education and Training