News & Policies
History & Tours | Kids | Your Government | Appointments | Jobs | Contact | Graphic version
Military representation within the White House originated with General Washington's Aide-de-Camp, whose role as Personal Aide to the President has continued and is currently filled by the Military Aides to the President. These roles include a wide variety of functions from critical military command and control missions to ceremonial duties at Presidential events.
Camp David was established in 1942 to provide the President a safe and relaxing place away from the White House. That same year the White House Communications Agency was formed to assure safe, secure, and reliable communications for the President.
Two years later President Franklin D. Roosevelt called for the creation of the Presidential Pilot's Office, renamed the Presidential Airlift Group in 2001, to provide air transportation to the President and his staff.
Marine Helicopter Squadron One (HMX-1) was created in 1957 when President Dwight D. Eisenhower was vacationing in Newport, Rhode Island, and had to return to the White House on short notice. He flew the first portion of the trip aboard HMX-1.
The White House Garage was created by an act of Congress in 1909. Over the years it was transformed into a military organization and became a regular unit in 1963 called the U.S. Army Transportation Agency (White House), and renamed the White House Transportation Agency.
Over the years, the White House Military Office has adapted to the evolving role of the President in American society, providing the highest quality service to meet the requirements of the Commander-in-Chief.
| More Offices