News & Policies >
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
September 27, 2006
Memorandum for the Secretary of State
SUBJECT: Presidential Determination with Respect to Foreign Governments' Efforts Regarding Trafficking in Persons
Consistent with section 110 of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 (Division A of Public Law 106-386), as amended, (the "Act"), I hereby:
(1) is a regional program, project, or activity under which the total benefit to Venezuela or Zimbabwe does not exceed 10 percent of the total value of such program, project, or activity; or
(2) has as its primary objective the addressing of basic human needs, as defined by the Department of the Treasury with respect to other, existing legislative mandates concerning U.S. participation in the multilateral development banks; or
(3) is complementary to or has similar policy objectives to programs being implemented bilaterally by the United States Government; or
(4) has as its primary objective the improvement of the country's legal system, including in areas that impact the country's ability to investigate and prosecute trafficking cases or otherwise improve implementation of a country's anti-trafficking policy, regulations, or legislation; or
(5) in engaging a government, international organization, or civil society organization, and that seeks as its primary objective(s) to: (a) increase efforts to investigate and prosecute trafficking in persons crimes; (b) increase protection for victims of trafficking through better screening, identification, rescue/removal, aftercare (shelter, counseling) training and reintegration; or (c) expand prevention efforts through education and awareness campaigns highlighting the dangers of trafficking or training and economic empowerment of populations clearly at risk of falling victim to trafficking
would promote the purposes of the Act or is otherwise in the national interest of the United States.
The certification required by section 110(e) of the Act is provided herewith.
You are hereby authorized and directed to submit this determination to the Congress and to publish it in the Federal Register.
GEORGE W. BUSH
# # #