News & Policies
History & Tours | Kids | Your Government | Appointments | Jobs | Contact | Graphic version
For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary
June 2, 2005
Memorandum for the Secretary of Defense
SUBJECT: Order of Succession of Officers to Act as Secretary of Defense
Pursuant to the Constitution and laws of the United States, including section 3345(a) of title 5, United States Code, and notwithstanding Executive Order 13000 of April 24, 1996, I direct as follows:
(1) In the event of the death, permanent disability, or resignation of the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of the Navy shall act for and perform the duties of the Secretary of Defense as Acting Secretary of Defense.
(2) In the event of the temporary absence or temporary disability of the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of the Navy shall act for and perform the duties of the Secretary of Defense as Acting Secretary of Defense. In these instances, the designation as Acting Secretary of Defense applies only for the duration of the Secretary's absence or disability, and does not affect the authority of the Secretary to exercise during the absence, or to resume when the disability no longer exists, the powers of his office.
(3) In all other respects, Executive Order 13000 of April 24, 1996, shall remain in effect.
(4) This memorandum shall expire upon the appointment of a Deputy Secretary of Defense, unless sooner terminated by operation of law or by the President.
(5) You are authorized and directed to publish this memorandum in the Federal Register.
GEORGE W. BUSH
# # #
|Email this page to a friend|