News & Policies >
For Immediate Release
OFFICE OF THE PRESS SECRETARY
October 7, 2004
Statement on Additional Federal Assistance for Florida
The President today made additional disaster assistance available to the State of Florida by authorizing an increase in the level of Federal funding for Public Assistance projects undertaken as a result of Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley, and Hurricanes Frances, Ivan, and Jeanne.
The President's major disaster declarations issued for the State on August 13, 2004, for Tropical Storm Bonnie and Hurricane Charley; on September 4, 2004, for Hurricane Frances; on September 16, 2004, for Hurricane Ivan; and on September 26, 2004, for Hurricane Jeanne, initially directed the Federal government to pay 75 percent of the eligible costs for Public Assistance projects, with the State and affected local governments providing the remaining 25 percent.
Under the President's order today, the Federal share for Public Assistance for each disaster, including direct Federal assistance, has been increased to 90 percent of the eligible costs, except for those categories of assistance, including direct Federal assistance, that were previously approved at 100 percent Federal funding.
The cost-share adjustments are retroactive to the dates of the President's major disaster declarations for the State.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: FEMA (202) 646-4600