||President George Washington selects sites flanking the White
House as location for Executive Offices. Designs approved on his
last day in office. Construction delayed due to lack of funds.
||Executive Office location moved closer to the Capitol.
Former President Washington protests and successfully lobbies
for the original site. Construction begins on Treasury Department southeast of White House.
||Construction begins on War Department building southwest of White House to also house the Navy and State Departments.
||Executive office buildings and White House burned by British troops,
but later reconstructed with additional floors. Two buildings added north
of the original two. State Department in the northeast building. Treasury
Department in rebuilt southeast building. War Department in the northwest
building. Navy Department in the southwest building.
||Treasury Department burns in a fire; Robert Mills hired to design a "fireproof" building.
||Construction begins for new Treasury Department.
||Mills prepares several proposals to combine War and Navy
buildings into a single large executive office building equal
in size to the Treasury building.
||Thomas U. Walter proposes a single executive office building west of White House equal in size to his design for Treasury building extension.
||Alfred B. Mullett appointed Supervising Architect of the Treasury (SAOT).
Old State Department building demolished to build Treasury building extension.
State Department moves to a former orphanage building at S and 14th Streets, NW.
||Commission formed to recommend a site for combined State, War, and Navy
Building and to procure designs and cost estimates. Mullett prepares sketch
for a building at McPherson Square in the French Second Empire style, which was
appreciated by Secretary of State Hamilton Fish and his staff. General Sherman
lobbies to replace the old War and Navy Buildings with a single structure
housing the State, War, and Navy Departments.
||In January, Commission recommends demolition of old
buildings and construction of a single building "similar in ground
plan and dimensions to the Treasury Building, in the French style." Mulletts plans approved in April.
||President Grant approves recommendation and Congress provides initial $500,000 appropriation. Ground broken for south wing (State Department).
||First granite stone for south wing is laid. Ground broken for east wing (Navy Department).
||First granite stone for east wing is laid. Richard von Ezdorf begins working for the SAOT.
||Mullett resigns as SAOT.
||Hamilton Fish, Secretary of State under President Grant, moves
into south wing with his staff of 54. William Potter becomes SAOT,
followed three months later by Orville Babcock.
||State Department Library finished.
||Last granite stone is set in east wing. Thomas Lincoln Casey becomes
SAOT and oversees completion of the construction for the State,
War, and Navy Department wings.
||East wing completed and ready for occupancy. War and Navy move in.
Demolition of old War Department building. Ground broken for north wing
on site of old War Department building. First telephone and telegraph
lines available for State and Navy Departments.
||Last granite stone of north wing is laid.
||Congress assigns the fourth story and attic, except for the
Library, of the south wing to the War Department and directs that
partition walls between the south and east wings be removed. North wing ready for occupancy.
||War Department moves into north wing from the east wing.
||Ground broken for west and center wings (War Department). First granite stone for west wing is laid. North wing completed. Demolition of old Navy Department building. Conference establishing International Dateline and Greenwich Mean Time held in State Department.
||Last granite stones in west and center wings are laid.
||West and center wings completed. War Department moves into west wing. Building known as State, War, and Navy Building (SWN).
||First light bulb used in the south wing in the State Department Diplomatic Reception Room.
||First electric lights installed in the corridors.
||Theodore Roosevelt appointed Assistant Secretary of Navy, under John D. Long, and he occupies room 278.
||In room 208, Secretary of State John Hay hands the Spanish Ambassador his passport and credentials, thus signifying United States declaration of war against Spain.
||Considering it a threat to employment, the buildings cleaning women stage a successful strike against the Superintendents plan to use a mechanical scrubber (roughly a bicycle with two rotary brushes) which enabled 2 or 3 women to do the work of 8 to 12.
||Telephone service available for entire building.
||In preparation for White House renovations, McKim, Mead and White designs "temporary" Executive Office Building west of the White House; Built in six months, it becomes known as the West Wing.
||Claude Graham-White, pioneer aviator, performs exhibition flight over Washington and lands on West Executive Avenue between SWN and the West Wing of the White House.
||Ice-making plant installed in north court.
||New inter-office phone system installed.
||Josephus Daniels appointed Secretary of the Navy by President Woodrow Wilson; remains through second term to lead the Navy through World War I with Franklin D. Roosevelt as his Assistant Secretary.
||Gas system removed and first electric system installed throughout the building. All building interiors repainted.
||Original plumbing pipes and toilet fixtures replaced.
||Navy Department vacates SWN, but Secretary of Navy and Navy Library remains until 1921.
||Electric elevators replace hydraulic elevators.
||General John Pershing holds office in room 274 as Army Chief of Staff until 1925. Pershing remains in room 274 as Chairman of the Battle Monuments Commission until 1947.
||The "Round the World Flyers" decorated by Secretary of War Dwight Davis.
||President Hoover uses room 274 as office after Christmas Eve fire damages West Wing offices.
||SWN renamed the Department of State Building. Plans approved by Congress to reface exterior with Greek Revival style façades. Project shelved in 1933 due to depressed economy.
||War Department vacates building.
||Bureau of Budget moves in from Treasury. Director holds office in room 252.
||In room 208, Cordell Hull dismisses Japanese envoys after receiving news of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
||"The State Department Speaks" series is broadcast by Secretary of State Cordell Hull and other high-ranking officials from their offices in the building.
||State Department vacates the building.
||Building renamed the Executive Office Building (EOB).
||President Eisenhower begins using room 474 for press conferences.
||First televised press conference ever made by a president (Eisenhower) in room 474 on January 19. Two bowling lanes installed in the EOB basement.
||Eisenhowers Advisory Commission on Presidential Office Space recommends demolition of EOB to build a modern office building.
||The 1957 Commissions plan to demolish the EOB is revived and debated in Congress and in the press.
||GSA, lacking a clear mandate for its demolition, announces that the EOB would "stand indefinitely." Vice Presidents begin to hold office in room 274 starting with Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ).
||Lafayette Square restoration project recommends restoration and continued use of buildings as executive offices.
||Vice President Hubert Humphrey holds office in room 180 while LBJ remains in room 274 as President.
||Federal Office Building #7 is built behind Blair House and is named New Executive Office Building, thus the nickname Old Executive Office Building begins to be used.
||Building designated a National Historic Landmark. President Nixon uses room 180 as his private office until 1974.
||Executive Office Building placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
||Executive Office Building registered as a landmark property on the District of Columbia Inventory of Historic Sites.
||Historic restoration of spaces within the building to their appearance at the time of completion begins.
||Wives of vice presidents begin to have offices in the building starting with Marilyn Quayle (room 269) and Tipper Gore (rooms 200-201).
||Restoration of roof completed in five phases.
||White House web site unveiled.
||Old Executive Office Building renamed Eisenhower Executive Office Building.
||Room 474 used as Coalition Information Center during the war on terrorism "Operation Enduring Freedom."
||President George W. Bush and Eisenhower family rededicate and formally rename the Eisenhower Executive Office Building on May 7.