News & Policies
History & Tours | Kids | Your Government | Appointments | Jobs | Contact | Graphic version
DEPARTMENT OF NAVY OFFICES
From 1879 until 1921, the Department of Navy had offices in the building's east wing. The offices of the Secretary of the Navy and the Assistant Secretary of the Navy, as well as the former Navy Department Library, have been restored to reflect their appearance circa 1900. The former Navy Department Library is used today as a multi-purpose room for meetings and receptions and is called the Indian Treaty Room.
DEPARTMENT OF STATE OFFICES
The Department of State occupied space in the building's south wing from 1875 until 1947, when the Department moved to a new building in Foggy Bottom. Both the Secretary of State's Office, Room 208 and the former State Department Library, Room 308, have been restored. The former State Department Library is in use today as the main library of the EOP. The famous Diplomatic Reception Room, Rooms 212-214, remains to be restored.
DEPARTMENT OF WAR OFFICES
The War Department occupied the largest area of the former State, War and Navy Department Building. The north wing was occupied in 1883, but not completed until 1884, and the west and center wings of the building were completed by 1888. The former War Department Library has been restored and is in use today as the law library of the EOP. The Secretary of War used rooms 231/232 as his office between 1888 and 1938 and rooms 251/252 between 1883 and 1888.
Return to the EEOB Tour