James K. Haveman Jr.
Former Senior Advisor to Iraqi Ministry of Health
James Haveman served as the Coalition Provisional Authority Senior Advisor to the Iraqi Ministry of Health (MOH). Since his arrival in Baghdad on June 4, 2003, Haveman had focused his efforts on helping a free Iraq build a sustainable and equitable healthcare system. Under his leadership significant progress had been made toward this goal:
- All 240 Iraqi hospitals and more than 1200 primary care clinics are open and serving the people of Iraq;
- An MOH US$210 million budget for 2003 was implemented and prioritized after the fall of the former regime which allocated only US$16 million for all of 2002;
- A 2004 MOH budget was written and approved by the Iraqi Governing Council in October 2003; and
- After a US$1.7 million rehabilitation, the Ministry of Health Headquarters in downtown Baghdad is open for business and operating under Dr. Khudair Abbas, Minister of Health.
Prior to joining the CPA in Iraq, Haveman was a long-time healthcare executive for the state of Michigan. He served as director of the Michigan Department of Community Health, Michigans primary health policy and management office, from April 1996 to January 2003. Here, he oversaw a multi-billion dollar budget and more than 6,000 employees responsible for publicly funded health programs within the state.
Under Haveman's leadership, the MDCH provided services that included:
- Medicaid health care coverage for 1.1 million Michigan residents
- Mental health and substance abuse services provided through contracts with 49 Community Mental
Health Services Programs and 15 substance abuse coordinating agencies
- Contacting with 45 local public health departments that assess health needs, promote and protect health, prevent disease, and assure access to appropriate care for all citizens.
Haveman received the National Governors' Association Distinguished Service award in July 1997. In May 2000, Haveman received the Distinguished Alumni Award from Calvin College. A social worker by training, Haveman is a 1966 graduate of Calvin College. He earned his master's degree in social work from Michigan State University. When in the United States he resides in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Return to this article at: