The East Wing
The East Wing, as it exists today, was added to the White House in 1942 and serves as office space for First Lady Laura Bush and her staff. The East Wing also includes the President's theater, the visitor's entrance, and the East Colonnade.
Visitors touring the White House enter through the east entrance and follow the East Colonnade past the Jacqueline Kennedy Garden to enter the Residence to see rooms on the Ground and State Floors.
The Jacqueline Kennedy Garden, which was named by First Lady Lady Bird Johnson in honor of her predecessor, serves as an informal reception area for the First Lady. President Jefferson added colonnaded terraces to the east and west sides of the White House. The East Terrace was removed in 1866. It was rebuilt on this foundation in 1902. For many years, a greenhouse occupied the east grounds of the White House.